Thursday, April 11, 2013

Ask and You Shall Receive

Being an aunt is awesome, right?!
My heart almost exploded when I asked my sister-in-law what the soon-to-be 7 year old what we wanted for his birthday.   He listed a few of the usual things....Star Wars toys, maybe a dart gun, etc.  EXCEPT....he said to tell Meredith that he wanted a quilt!  She told him there was only two weeks until his birthday so don't expect a quilt.  Sounds like a challenge, right?!?   I talked to my dear friend and long arm quilter, Jan, and she said he if wants a quilt, give him a quilt!  She is always busy, but always manages to work me in.

His favorite colors are blue and red.  I chose my "Dashing" pattern because it is quick.




I thought fabrics from Malka Dubrawsky's Simple Marks would be perfect because they look masculine and playful without looking like a baby quilt.  (The HORROR of making a 7 year old look like a BABY!)




I decided the churn dash looked too fussy and grown up so I substituted half-square-triangles.  (Maybe it was faster too!)  The HSTs were a perfect place to highlight his favorite colors.  I thought it would add interest to turn the HSTs in various directions.  I am pleased with the outcome!  

My friend/long arm quilter/lifesaver brought the quilt to life by quilting the PERFECT design...star wars.  I love it. The nephew was happy.  I was happy.


The birthday party was at 2:00.  I had the binding on with 38 minutes to spare.   No problem!


Happy quilting! 
Meredith

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you are a quilter just like me, I have finished binding ON THE WAY before, only once...........so far, LOL
    Great post, great story, and I love that pattern! :) KH

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing gift from a wonderful aunt. You are so creative and I love all the material in your shop. Need to come visit soon.
    And Jan, what else can be said about her. So sweet and does beautiful work, you both make an amazing team for us "locals!".
    Mylene

    ReplyDelete